Skilled Trades Certification FAQ

I am a tradesperson in one of the Skilled Trades Certification trades, am I impacted?

There will be no impact to registered apprentices and certified journeypeople.  

However, workers currently working in one of the Skilled Trades Certification trades without certification will have to either become certified by writing and passing the certification exams or register as an apprentice with an employer sponsor before December 1, 2023.

Which employers will be impacted by Skilled Trades Certification? 

Employers that have unregistered apprentices or uncertified workers in the Skilled Trades Certification trades will be impacted. We recommend these employers register any unregistered apprentices and ensure uncertified workers understand their options to either get certified by challenging a certification exam or register as an apprentice.

Employers also need to meet the supervision ratio of 2 apprentices to 1 journeyperson.

As an employer, how do I know if I meet the requirements? 

  • Your employees who work in one of the Skilled Trades Certification trades are certified journeypeople or registered apprentices
  • You are meeting the supervision ratio of 2 apprentices to 1 journeyperson
  • You are keeping records of the workers’ qualifications to work in the Skilled Trades Certification trades 

What is a supervision ratio?

If an apprentice wants to attain certification in a skilled trade, they must register with an employer to receive on-the-job training done by certified journeypeople. Supervision ratio is a limit on the number of apprentices a journeyperson can train a time.

For electrical and mechanical Skilled Trades Certification trades, the supervision ratio of apprentice to journeyperson is 2:1 (two to one).

A 2:1 apprentice to journeyperson supervision ratio helps ensure that apprentices are able to get the right level of training and experience they need to become qualified workers, who in turn are able to support businesses and the needs of British Columbians.

What is scope of work?

Scope of work refers to general trades activities, tasks or functions carried out by workers in the Skilled Trades Certification trades as part of their work. It is linked and driven by the definition in each trade profile established for our apprenticeship programs, which is consistent with the National Red Seal Occupational Standard definition.

Details of the scope of work of Skilled Trades Certification trades can be found here

What is a temporary authorization? Can I apply for it now?

A temporary authorization authorizes the person who may not meet the requirements of the regulations to work in the specified Skilled Trades Certification trade for a certain period of time. It may be issued to Trade Qualifiers who are working towards certification or workers with extensive work experience in a Skilled Trades Certification trade if they meet all the application requirements.

Our goal is to support employers and individuals to meet these new requirements prior to them coming into effect. A process to support Temporary Authorizations will be available to qualified workers who require additional time starting December 1, 2023. Please complete the contact form to receive updates about how to apply for a temporary authorization.

When do I have to meet all the requirements?

Employers and workers will need to meet the requirements for electrical and mechanical trades before December 1, 2023. Three additional automotive trades will be introduced as Skilled Trades Certification trades in 2024 when phase two begins and will also have one year to transition.

I don’t have enough certified tradespersons to take on apprentices to apprentices to meet the ratio, what can I do? 

You can contact our customer service team or the Skilled Trades Certification Advisor in your region to find out how to access the information and supports you need to meet the requirements.

If I am certified with Technical Safety BC or other organizations, do I still need to get certified with SkilledTradesBC?

Yes. Skilled Trades Certification requires anyone working in the specified trades to be either a registered apprentice or a certified journeyperson in their respective trades.

Some Skilled Trades Certification trades may require workers to obtain additional certifications/licenses from other regulatory agencies and/or organizations to perform certain regulated work in the province. If you have any questions, please contact our customer service team for further information.

Requirements to be certified with Technical Safety BC have not changed. For example, in addition to Skilled Trades Certification, Gasfitters will also need to hold a Class A or Class B gasfitter certification issued by Technical Safety BC in order to perform regulated gas work in B.C. For more information, please visit Technical Safety BC website.

If I have an out of province certification, do I still need to get certified in B.C.?

If you already have an Interprovincial Red Seal in one of these seven Skilled Trades Certification trades, you have met the requirements of Skilled Trades Certification.