Newcomers and International Tradespersons

SkilledTradesBC is the Provincial Government organization that oversees the trades training and certification process in British Columbia (B.C.). We provide support on the following topics:

Please note that we do not provide support for any immigration, visa or job search-related queries. If you are a skilled worker from outside of Canada who wants to come and work in B.C., visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and WelcomeBC to find out more information. 

See below for Frequently Asked Questions and resource links.

Frequently Asked Questions

To become an apprentice in a skilled trade, you will need to be legally able to work and attend school in Canada. Follow the steps on the Become an Apprentice page to learn more or the Find Your Trade page to explore the different trade programs in B.C. 

If you have questions about student or work visas, please contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The B.C. government has implemented the B.C. Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) to offer qualified and experienced skilled trades workers a pathway to permanently settle in the province. Please visit WelcomeBC or Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for further information or queries. 

SkilledTradesBC do not offer advice or support for any questions related to BC PNP.

If you are new to Canada and are legally able to work in Canada, there are newcomer organizations that may provide job search supports and other services. Contact the service organization closest to you using the search tool on this page. 

You can also search job postings through these agencies:

If you do not yet have permission to work in Canada, visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and WelcomeBC for more information on application and eligibility requirements.

Visit the Find Your Trade page to search for your trade. The Record Books and the Challenge a Trade section on each trade page may help you determine what is required to become certified in that trade. 

SkilledTradesBC does not have authority over visa applications or immigration. Please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for information on visas. 

Visit this page on Exam and Study Support for resources including videos, websites, refresher courses, and more.

You may apply to use a Translator/Interpreter, a translation dictionary, or request a French version of your Interprovincial Red Seal exam. For more information, visit this page on Exam Accommodations.

No, this is not required to become a skilled trade apprentice or to write an exam with us. 

However, trades schools may require IELTS/CELPIP exam results to register for school. 

Currently, it takes 8 to 10 weeks for an application to get reviewed and processed. 

You may be eligible to write the certification exam and receive full certification through the challenge process. Follow the steps on the Challenge a Certification Exam page to get started.


Find free newcomer services near you:

Government of Canada’s Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada:

Learn about B.C. Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) information: 

WelcomeBC’s list of settlement service providers:

Contact Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada: