Labour Mobility

Apprentice Mobility

If you are an apprentice looking for information on mobility between provinces, view our Apprentice Mobility page.

If you are a certified tradesperson in another province, can you work in BC?

In Canada, there are a number of agreements between jurisdictions that facilitate labour mobility for certified tradespeople. BC has signed three major labour mobility agreements:
  • Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement (TILMA) between BC and Alberta.
  • New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA) amongst BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.
  • Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) amongst all Canadian provinces and territories.
These agreements provide mutual recognition of qualifications issued by all Canadian jurisdictions.
SkilledTradesBC has worked collaboratively with its counterpart apprenticeship authorities in Alberta and Saskatchewan to:
  • Adopt a common policy to:
  • Establish a single point of contact for apprentices in each jurisdiction to address their mobility barriers;
  • Track, monitor, and regularly review differences between the jurisdictions’ apprenticeship training levels and processes.
  • Engage with employers who have operations in multiple jurisdictions to understand the issues faced when interacting with multiple systems of apprenticeship.
  • Establish mechanisms to publish training availability for low volume trades across the three jurisdictions to provide more options for apprentices.

What does Mutual Recognition of Qualifications mean?

  • The SkilledTradesBC in BC recognizes certificates issued by jurisdictional authorities in other Canadian provinces or territories.
  • Other Canadian jurisdictional authorities recognize BC certificates.
  • Recognition applies to individuals who are certified and in good standing in their trade with the appropriate provincial or territorial authority.
  • Qualified individuals have the same rights and obligations to practice the same or a substantially similar occupation in all Canadian provinces and territories without significant additional training, experience, examinations or assessment of qualifications and without meeting a residency requirement.

Rules for Mutual Recognition:

  • Mutual recognition only applies if you have your full certification or license.
  • Trades/occupations must be the same or very similar in both jurisdictions.
  • You still must meet provincial or territorial Occupational Health and Safety requirements for your trade, which may require you to complete short courses or minor training specific to the jurisdiction.
  • Regulated trades such as Electrician, Crane Operator, Security Alarm Installer, funeral trades and others may also require special licenses. (See Regulated Trades sections below.)

Trades Available in Other Jurisdictions

The following is a list of trades that are not offered in British Columbia but are available in the nearby provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan.  This list is provided as a part of British Columbia’s commitment to the New West Partnership agreement to supporting greater mobility for apprentices between British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan. To learn more about the trades available in the New West provinces outside of British Columbia, please click on the links below to see an overview of each trade and application instructions.
Click on an overview of each trade below, or click here to apply
For additional information on how to participate in one of these programs not offered in BC, please contact Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training
Click on an overview of each trade below, or click here to apply.
For additional information on how to participate in one of these programs not offered in BC, please contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission

Different Trade Names Across Jurisdictions

Some trades go by different names across the country. It’s a good idea to check and compare the BC trade name with that of the issuing jurisdiction (if you’re coming to work in BC from elsewhere) or destination jurisdiction (if you’re going to work in another Canadian jurisdiction).

Regulated Trades in other Canadian Provinces and Territories

Restrictions on the practice of trades occupations vary by province and territory, so it is best to contact the relevant jurisdictional authority to determine their requirements to practice a specific occupation.

Regulated Trades in BC

There are two types of skilled trades in BC: regulated and non-regulated trades. A number of trades are regulated in BC for consumer protection and to ensure public health and safety. This means to perform work in these occupations you must be a registered apprentice with SkilledTradesBC or hold a certificate of qualification, and / or be licensed by the regulatory body for that trade. Although SkilledTradesBC sets standards and grants certificates for the skilled trades, there are other regulatory bodies in BC that control licensing and determine who can legally work in the trade.
Examples of regulated trades in BC include, but are not limited to:
Trade Regulatory Body
Auto Glass ICBC
Technical Safety BC
Crane Operator WorkSafe BC
Funeral Director Embalmer Business Practices and Consumer Protection Authority of BC
Security Alarm Installer
Ministry of Justice Policing and Security Programs